In a day in age where there is daily change, the COVID-19 pandemic has played its part in delaying off-road racing. The delay for the 2020 Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series (LOORRS) season is set to kick off July 25-26th at a rescheduled venue.
The first rounds of the season were supposed to be at Wild West Motorsports Park, but plans changed. In a release LOORRS said:
The State of Nevada was scheduled to move into Phase 3 of re-opening starting the first of July. This would have allowed us to host our event at Wild West Motorsports Park in Sparks, Nevada. However, rather than move into phase 3 as expected, Nevada Governor, Steve Sisolak has decided to extend Phase 2 through the end of July. This means we can no longer host the event.
We are working on an alternative plan that will allow us to still get in our 2 rounds of racing for points and TV coverage. We have come to an agreement with Glen Helen Raceway in California. They will allow us to put on the event on the same weekend, on Saturday and Sunday, July 25-26. See below for the details we have so far.
More details will follow shortly with the schedule of events, but in the meantime, I wish you all a wonderful 4th of July weekend with your family and friends. Stay safe and healthy out there!
With the change in venues there are also changes in the way it will be raced:
- Saturday & Sunday Day races.
- TV and LORTV race coverage.
- Fan-Less event. No general public admissions DUE TO COVID-19.
- Participants: crew members and family only.
- Vendors: Tires/Parts/Fuel vendors only.
- Current CDC sanitizing guidelines and social distancing within all common areas.
- We encourage all participants and crews to bring their own face coverings and sanitizer.
- LOORRS staff will have face coverings and sanitizer.
- Online registration and waivers are mandatory.
- Bring your own pens with you for any signatures required in tech, etc.
- No concessions, bring your own food and beverages.
- Move-in on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.
- Due to new rules at Glen Helen, there is no overnight parking on the road outside, so please plan your arrival accordingly.
The full schedule of events is supposed to be released this week. For more information on the 2020 Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series, be sure to visit their website.